Last updated: December 2021Introduction
We Propup Group Limited (Propup, us or we) recognise the importance of protecting your privacy. When dealing with personal information we comply with the Privacy Act 2020 (the Act).
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act.If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz.
This Policy applies to the personal information of clients and users (“you”) of the PropUp platform (Platform).
Where we are providing service to you in connection with the Platform this Policy should be read in conjunction with our Terms. [Luke – hyperlink this to your website terms]
We collect personal information about you from:
- you, when you provide that personal information to us, including via the Platform, any related account and services through a registration process, and through any contact with us (via email), and during our relationship with you;
- third parties, only when you have authorised this or where the information is publicly available.
You may enter personal information about your tenants or prospective tenants into the Platform only where you are authorised to disclose that information to us.
Where possible, we will collect personal information from you directly.What kind of personal information do we collect?
We collect personal information from you, including, but not limited to:
- contact information;
- date of birth;
- job title;
- identification number and type (for example, drivers licence, passport, bills, Council rates notice);
- your rental profile information about your user interaction;
- payment and financial details (including bank account, credit card or direct debit details);
- information about the property you are renting or intend to rent;
- information necessary to conduct employer and identity checks;
- information required for tenancy applications;
- information in respect to utility usage and outgoings;
- photos, documents, videos and other descriptions as part of property inspections; and
- other information obtained or received by us in connection with your use of the Platform.
We also collect personal information from suppliers, contractors and third party service providers that we engage to help us operate our Platform.
We may also collect, use and share anonymous and aggregated data for statistical, product development, analysis, and to provide to third parties. For example, we may aggregate your usage data to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific Platform feature and provide third parties with aggregate rental appraisal data.
In some cases, if personal information we request is not provided, it might adversely impact our ability to supply the service through the Platform.Why do we collect your personal information?
We collect personal information in order to operate our business, provide services to you and provide functionality of the Platform.
We will collect and use your personal information legally and fairly, and for the following purposes:
- to provide our services to you;
- to process and fulfil your registration and or applications for a property;
- to verify your identity;
- to manage tenancies;
- to collect money owed by tenants and process payments;
- to provide the functionality of the platform and enhance our services;
- to help us learn more about your preferences and personalise our application or our services; in accordance with your preferences;
- for authentication and account management;
- to confirm your identity;
- to complete information required in tenancy services documentation;
- to contact and communicate with you and allow you to communicate with other uses of the Platform;
- to conduct research and statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis);
- to provide you with information in relation to our services;
- for any other purposes authorised by you or the Act; and
- to comply with any laws in New Zealand or overseas applying to us.
We may disclose information to:
- third party services providers that support our services, including any person that hosts or maintains IT systems, data storage providers, debt collection agencies, credit reference agencies, maintenance providers, recovery providers and payment system operators;
- any business that assists with processes to optimise and improve the quality and efficiency of services;
- prospective landlords to access your tenant history;
- customerly.io and Akahu.io who assist with support requests and facilitate payments of rental;
- agencies engaged by us to verify identity or address information;
- any New Zealand government agency tasked with the management and regulation of residential tenancy agreement or other residential rental matters;
- our employees or contractors;
- anyone that we need to contact to carry out your instructions to us (including, without limitation, third parties/contractors to carry out any repair on a property and recipients of any payments);
- organisations conducting market research, data processing and statistical analysis for us;
- upon receipt of a request by a person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority);
- upon receipt of a request by any other person or body authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency);
- any person or body where legislation requires us to disclose your personal information;
- any other person authorised by you.
We will only hold your personal information for as long as necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, unless otherwise required by law. This may include retaining information in case a dispute arising between yourself and another party in respect of a property, and you require information or photographic evidence that was stored on the Platform.Device specific data and cookies
We also collect information about your use of our Platform, for example:
- your device's IP address;
- device operating system;
- your devices cookie string data;
- device type (unique device identifiers) and manufacturer name; and,
- geographic location.
Collecting this information allows us to customise your online experience, as well as improve the performance, usability and effectiveness of our Platform.Third-party links
Safeguarding the privacy of your information is important to us. These measures include:
- administrative and technical controls to restrict access to personal information to only those people who need access;
- encrypting any sensitive information for an extra layer of security. This includes lease details, bonds, financial information;
- technology security measures, including restricted private cloud networks with google provided firewalls; and
- holding personal information in secure databases with restricted access and permissions.
We may need to maintain records for a significant period of time. However, when we consider information is no longer needed, we will remove any details that will identify you or we will securely destroy the records.How can you access your personal information, or seek to have it correct?
You have the right to access your personal information we hold about you and have any of your personal information corrected if you believe it is incorrect.If you would like to ask for a copy of your information, or have it updated, please contact us at:
Email: email@example.comWhat happens if there is a privacy breach?